First, this blog is not gonna turn into a food blog. Since i just had a long week-end, instead of doing nothing, I cooked one of my favourite Indonesian light meal again. This time will be based on potatoes!
So i let you first prepare the ingredients:
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped and fried
- 100 gr mincemeat, steamed
- 1tbs fried shallots
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- chives, minced
- 1 egg (took only the white part)
In a medium cooking bowl, mashed all the ingredients except egg, take some mixture and turn it into oval balls, heat the oil, put the ball mixture into egg, and fry it till brown.
P.S It is important to deep-fry the potato before you make the mixture, it keeps the solid mixture while you frying it.
Indonesian bakwan is a fried vegetable which is one of the most famous light meal in the Java region. There’s a lot of different way to make this kind of food. For example in central java they normally put egg to make it tastier. However in west java, they prefer to put water to make it crunchier.
Since i love eat good food, i found that bakwan in west java version is more delicious than the other one.
Everytime i make this bakwan, my Indonesian friends even my foreign friends said that my recipes is very successful and make them to try it at their home. Even though that bakwan is kind of fatty food, but i bet you never get enough once you try it one.
Let me share you my recipes.
- 1 bag Mix grated carrot and cabbage (you can find in salad rayon in carrefour hypermarket)
- 150 gr of shrimps (separate into 50 gr of shrimps into small chop and 100 gr wash and shell without removing the tails)
- — you can change it with grated surimi if you think that shrimp is quite expensive for you)
- 1 big shallot, minced
- add some shallot leeks (optional)
- 1 tbs maizena
- about 10 tbs of floor (it depends how much water you put in, if you suddenly put a lot of water don’t be panic, just put some floor again)
- some water
- oil to fry
- 1 cube Maggy
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- peanut sauce or chili sauce
Mix all the ingredients and season it into a mixing bowl, add gradually the water, whisking continuously until the batter is well mixed. In the mean time, heat the oil in frying pan. Use wooden spatula to make sure that your oil is hot. The vital point to remember when frying bakwan is that the fat must be really hot before you put the batter in. Put shrimp upon the upper side of the frying bakwan before return to the other side. However don’t forget to minimize the heat while you fry it because it makes the oil cooked the inside of the batter.